Cinco Du Mayo
Short and Long Course / Saturday, May 6th, 2017 / 8:45AM / Square Lake Park, Stillwater, MN
The Multi-Sport season begins early with Tri Fitness. Cinco Du Mayo is a Duathlon: a Run-Bike-Run event held at Square Lake Park in Stillwater, MN.
Now, before you start reading too far into the name of our event, let us clear a few things up. We are not commemorating the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5th in 1862...with a Duathlon.
As happy as we are for General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguínwe and his army of 4,000 decisively crushing the (8,000 strong) French army, the best army at the time - and might we add, one that had not been defeated for almost 50 years (thanks Wikipedia!) - we really don’t see much connection between the two, so that would be weird. This event isn’t even held on May 5th every year. It’s held on the first Saturday in May, no matter the date.
Here’s how it really happened: We have a race in early May. This race happens to fall somewhat close to Cinco De Mayo. the "De" sounds a lot like "Du" (you can see where this is going...) which is what Multi-Sport athletes say when they don’t want to expend the extra energy to articulate two more syllables (a true Multi-Sport athlete saves energy whenever they can!). Thus was born the, Cinco Du Mayo.
So we race. And then we eat tacos...tasty, tasty, tacos.
Fat Bikes are welcomed to this event.
- Square Lake is a coveted training ground, less than 45 minutes from St. Paul and Minneapolis.
- Get a long-sleeve technical shirt.
- Get a finisher medal.
- Be prepared with on-site bike support courtesy of our friends at Penn Cycle.
- Sip on coffee and more from the great folks at Caribou Coffee.
- Relax with a pre- or post-race rubdown from Barr Chiropractic.
- Enjoy a post-race taco party with amazing tacos from Casa Lupita.
- Entertaining race announcements.
- First and second place medals for male and female age group winners.
- Overall male and female winners will receive a Mexican themed basket filled with goodies.
- Great venue and race for the first timer or the experienced duathlete.
There are three ways to register for this race:
Want to register for more than one race? Fill out our bulk race registration form!
**Upon registration, you agree to the Tri Fitness Race Refund and Cancellation Policies**
The race fees are as follows:
- Long Course Individual - $70 before 4/24, or $80 from 4/25 through 5/5, or $105 on race day
- Long Course 2 Person Team - $125 before 4/24, or $135 from 4/25 through 5/5, or $160 on race day
- Long Course 3 Person Team - $180 before 4/24, $190 from 4/25 through 5/5 or $215 on race day
- Short Course Individual - $70 before 4/24, or $80 from 4/25 through 5/5, or $105 on race day
- Short Course 2 Person Team - $115 before 4/24, or $125 from 4/25 through 5/5, or $150 on race day
- Short Course 3 Person Team - $170 before 4/24, or $180 from 4/25 through 5/5, or $205 on race day
All participant will receive a long sleeve technical event shirt. Registrations after 4/23/2016 may need to pick up their event shirt from our retail store about 10 days after the race and will be notified via email. These are UNISEX shirts, and may run a little bit large, so please order accordingly.
Measure just under your arms, around your chest. The shirts tend to run a little large, so if you're between sizes, you might want to go a size lower, but it's totally up to your individual preferences.
- S 34-36
- M 38-40
- L 42-44
- XL 46-48
- 2XL 50-52 (extra charge)
- 3XL 54-55 (extra charge)
Your race packet will include all the materials you need for your race, race bib, and some fun stuff like your complimentary event shirt and special offers. Your timing chip will be available on race day morning. You must have your bib in order to pick up your timing chip. DO NOT wear a timing chip from a prior race, or it may interfere with your time for Cinco Du Mayo, potentially not recording your effort.
- Thursday, May 4th from 11:00am-6:00pm
- Friday, May 5th from 11:00am-6:00pm
Cinco Du Mayo is held at Square Lake Park near Stillwater (get directions). The address is 15450 Square Lake Trail North, Stillwater, MN 55082.
Parking on race day will be available within the park. Additional parking will be available in designated areas outside the park. Signs and volunteers will direct the participants and volunteers. Please note that we will be restricting cars leaving prior to 12:00 p.m. from the park to ensure the safety of all athletes. We realize this may not be convenient but know that you too want this to be a safe event for all participants.
Schedule of Events
- 7:30 am - Park and parking lots open
- 7:30 am - Transition area opens for race participants
- 7:30 am - Bike support will be on hand from Tri Fitness
- 7:30 am - Race day registration begins
- 8:00 am - Race announcements begin
- 8:15 am - Race day registration and packet pick-up closes - no more cars allowed into the park
- 8:30 am - Transition area closes
- 8:40 am - Final course updates (Start line)
- 8:45 am - LONG COURSE STARTS
- 9:00 am - SHORT COURSE STARTS
- 10:30 am - Taco party starts
- 11:15ish - Awards ceremony
- 12:15 - Courses close
You are responsible for knowing the course, so please study the maps and directions. We'll have volunteers on the course, but still...please know your stuff.
Both courses include an "out-and-back" run that starts within the park but keeps the majority of the distance on the scenic avenues outside of the park boundaries. The short course is a 2 mile run, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run. The long course is a 3 mile run, 20 mile bike (two loops of the short course) and 3 mile run.
The bike course for this event features rolling hills that traverse through some of the most beautiful terrain in the Stillwater area. The short course is great for beginners, while more seasoned duathletes will find it to be moderately challenging.
The long course features double the amount of rolling hills (2 loops on the bike course, etc.), and just seems to be a little more demanding. The weather in early May is often cool - the longer exposure times for the long course athletes can take its toll. Please dress accordingly.
- Short Course printable run map
- Short Course interactive run map
- Long Course printable run map
- Long Course interactive run map
Both runs begin within the park, but make their way quickly to the roadways outside of the park. Runners take a left out of the park and head left on Paul Ave. Runners continue straight until they reach the turn-around point (approx. 1.0 mile for short course and 1.55 miles for long course) and then head back to the start/transition area. Long course athletes, DO NOT turn around at the short course turnaround marker! You have another 1/2 mile or so to go.
Fluid replacement (water and HEED) will be available at the turn-around point for the short course.
Run/Bike Transition Area
To help with the congestion that often happens within the transition area, only participants and volunteers will be permitted in the transition area. Bikes must be walked/run in the transition area. Mount/Dismount Zones are located just outside the transition area. You must wear a helmet while with your bike. For teams, please transfer your chip at your bike transition area.
- Short Course printable bike map
- Short Course interactive bike map
- Long Course printable bike map (double loop of short course)
- Long Course interactive bike map (double loop of short course)
The Bike section of this course follows a clockwise route around Big Carnelian Lake and Little Carnelian Lake. Participants will begin the bike course by leaving the transition area and taking a right out of the park on Square Lake Trail N. Directional signs, mile markers, and volunteers will be posted on the course during the race to assist with navigation, but it always helps to know your course.
Remember, Long Course athletes make a second loop around the lakes before heading back in to transition. Please consider giving these maps a look ahead of time, or even better, give it a ride, and you'll be good to go on race day. Short Course athletes only do ONE LOOP of the bike course - know when to head back, check the map!
The entire bike route is open to traffic, so please be aware of vehicles and plan on following all traffic rules when traffic control is not present. The road surface is asphalt and course volunteers (armed with brooms) are stationed at all turns. This should be a nice, clean course, so please help us keep it that way by holding on to your empty gel packs or other litter. All bikes are required to display a bike number.
Tri Fitness and Penn Cycle will provide pre-race and on-course bike support.
The finish area is located on the road, inside the park, adjacent to transition area. Volunteers will assist in removing race numbers and/or timing chips.
Bottled water and post-race tacos will be provided. In order to keep them as warm as possible, the tacos should arrive by 10:30 or so.
Awards and Prizes
Awards are given to:
- Top overall Male & Female athletes
- Top 2 Male & Female athletes in each age group (19 & Under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+)
- Top relay team (we allow Male, Female, or Mixed teams)
Overall winners will receive a Mexican Themed Basket of goodies (which may or may not include refried beans). Individual age group and team 1st and 2nd place winners will receive medals.
**Must be present to win. If you want your award and can't stay, shipping cost is your responsibility.**
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you so much to our current sponsors! If you are interested in sponsoring a race, we have multiple opportunities available - click here to get all the information.